What to expect at your poll site
Check in, mark your ballot, then scan your ballot! Ask for help if you need it.
1 | Check In
- Go to your designated poll site and find the correct table for your Assembly District/Election District (You can look up your info here.)
- Sign in and get your paper ballot from the poll worker.
- Ask for help if you need it!
2 | Mark Both Sides of Your Ballot
- Mark your ballot by completely darkening the oval next to your choice using the pen provided.
- Do NOT use an “x” or a “✓”, circle the oval, or make stray marks on the ballot.
- For a write-in candidate, fill in the appropriate oval and write in the candidate’s name.
- Do NOT fold your ballot. Do NOT sign or write your name on your ballot.
3 | Scan Your Ballot
- Carry your marked ballot in the privacy sleeve to the scanner area.
- Insert your marked ballot into the scanner, which will notify you when your vote has been cast.
- Put on your “I Voted” sticker!
Voters with disabilities can request to use a Ballot Marking Device (BMD) for additional support.
The BMD provides two ways for voters to access the ballot:
- See the ballot on the display screen
- Listen to the ballot through audio headphones
The BMD provides four ways for voters to mark the ballot:
- Touch Screen
- Key Pad (Braille)
- Sip & Puff Device
- Rocker Paddle
Follow these steps to mark your ballot using the BMD:
- Decide how you will access and mark the ballot.
- Insert your ballot into the feed tray.
- Select your preferred language.
- The BMD will guide you through the process of making your choices and reviewing your selections.
- To change a selection, select the contest or issue you would like to change and reselect the proper choice. Select “NEXT” to return to the summary screen.
- Selection “Mark Ballot” to print your marked ballot.
- Take your printed ballot and voter card to the scanner area.
- If you would like assistance inserting your ballot into the scanner, a poll worker will assist you.
Problems and Solutions
I made a mistake marking my ballot.
Ask a poll worker for a new ballot. You can request up to 3 ballots total.
I “overvoted” (filled in too many ovals for a contest).
If you overvote, your vote for that office or ballot proposal will not be counted. If you insert a ballot with an overvote into the scanner, the display screen will show an error message. Select “Don’t Cast – Return Ballot,” and the scanner will return your ballot. You can always ask a poll worker for a new ballot if you make a mistake.
The text is too small; I can’t read my paper ballot.
There will be a magnifying sheet available. You can also ask to use a Ballot Marking Device (BMD).